Wednesday, May 15, 2013

PUT.IO an honest review

I am going to start this review with a disclaimer. PUT.IO is a website service I subscribe to. They emailed me recently offering me a couple of months free usage of their service if I wrote an honest review. They were pretty insistent about the honesty bit. They insisted I talk about positive or negative experiences I have had with their service.

I had been meaning to write an article about their service so I guess this is as good a time as any other.



I came across PUT.IO around six months ago when it was recommended to me by a friend. For those of you who are not familiar with the service, PUT.IO is a specialized cloud storage system. It comes with a diverse set of useful tools:
  • Cloud torrent application
  • MP4 converter
  • The ability to schedule torrent downloads with an RSS feed
  • Video streaming (Browser and other internet steams)
Why would I want a cloud torrent application? For two primary reasons. Speed and security. One of the disadvantages of running with torrents is connections are peer-to-peer which means bad guys like the Russian mafia and RIAA can snoop on what you are downloading. Since PUT.IO is doing the downloading, your downloads are private and incredibily fast. 



If you select your media from ThePirateBay Top 100 Files, then downloads are pretty much instant. If you are like me and have a few regular files that are released weekly, you can use the schedule option so that your media is automatically downloaded and waiting for you to watch at your convenience. 

Have a look at a schedule service like http://showrss.karmorra.info/

I think without a doubt the ultimate feature of this service for me is the speed at which you can start consuming your media. Normally I can add any file I want and be watching it within 20 seconds. For someone like me in bandwidth starved South Africa this is important. 

Torrent traffic in South Africa is heavily shaped (slowed down), so one of the added advantages of using PUT.IO is the HTTPS encryption which not only means your traffic is unshaped, it also makes it harder for someone to spy on you.



If you run a Plex or XBMC media player for your home entertainment system, then you will be happy to learn that there are plugins to allow you to stream the media content directly to your main screen. 

Well... thats a short breakdown of the positive side of PUT.IO, now I guess its onto the negative. They are a new service working with some amazing concepts, and a lot of what they are working with is beta type, cutting edge technology. So there have been some teething issues as they have expanded. I also am looking forwards to the day that one of the proxy servers are located in South Africa so I can get even better streaming speeds.

On at least three occasions in the last 6  months there has been lengthy service disruptions. In their defence the last one was caused by one of their datacenters and was beyond their control. They do communicate with you via Facebook and Twitter when there are service issues. The only other complaint I have is with the mp4 conversion times which can be frustratingly slow sometimes. 

All in all I believe it to be a very useful service, one that I am happily willing to pay for monthly. I love it that I can pick any media I want and be watching it on any device in seconds. I can watch it on my XBMC media player, I can watch it on my S3 Samsung phone and I can watch it on my 10" Samsung Android Tablet.

Go check them out, they are a fantastic web based service: https://put.io/


7 comments:

  1. A powerful alternative is also

    http://www.putdrive.com/defaultno.aspx

    which offers high speed downloads from Torrents and from over 85 different File Hosters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. đồng tâm
      game mu
      cho thuê nhà trọ
      cho thuê phòng trọ
      nhac san cuc manh
      số điện thoại tư vấn pháp luật miễn phí
      văn phòng luật
      tổng đài tư vấn pháp luật
      dịch vụ thành lập công ty trọn gói
      http://we-cooking.com/
      chém gió
      Diệp Âm Trúc gật đàu , đáp : " Trên đường ta đã gặp hắn một lần . Người này rất bá đạo , còn cho rằng dong binh công đoàn cùng ta có thân phận mờ ám " . Sự việc hắn cùng cân thiết dong binh công đoàn cùng tới Mễ lan thành đã sớm nói với Tô Lạp .
      Tô Lạp sắc mặt nghiêm túc nói : " Âm Trúc , sợ rằng ngươi thực sự đã gặp phiền toái rồi . Áo Tư Đinh bộ dạng là hướng tới học viện của chúng ta đó " .
      " Phiền toái ? Phiền toái gì cơ ? Việc hắn tới học viện cùng chúng ta có gì quan hệ ? " . Diệp Âm Trúc nghi hoặc hỏi .
      Tô Lạp liếc mắt nhìn hắn một cái , nói : " Ngươi cái gì cũng không biết a ! Ta nói ngươi gặp phiền toái bởi vì Áo Tư Đinh chính là đại ca của Tiểu ma nữ . Ngươi ngày hôm qua đã đả thương nàng cùng ma thú lục lon Âm Trúc sửng sốt : " Ngươi nói cái gì ? Áo Tư Đinh là đại ca La Lan ? Ý của ngươi là giờ hắn tìm ta trả thù sao ? Đấy là một trận đấu công bằng cơ mà " .
      Tô Lạp lắc đầu , nói : " Ta không dám chắc . Việc này là có thể không xảy ra . Học viện chúng ta cũng có địa vị khá cao , nghĩ kĩ thì Áo Tư Lan cũng không dám làm càn . Xem ra ta cũng cần phải giới thiệu cho ngươi một chút về gia cảnh của La Lan . La Lan xuất thân từ la lan gia tộc , tộc trưởng là một trong hai vị địa nguyên soái của Mễ lan đế quốc , cũng là một trong hai vị tử tinh

      Delete
  2. Hi David,
    I was a user of Put.io and I recently switched to streamnation.com which is better in terms of experience and in terms of media center like features. I also gave up on dropbox and put all my photos on stream nation. I know some people who work there and I'm sure they would be happy to give you a free account to write an honest review too! Take a look if you have the time: my favorite feature is the download feature on iPad, i can watch my content when i'm on the go, sweet isn't it?
    You can reach me on gantwerp at yahoo dot com if you want a try.
    Best
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. put.io is a win! even on a mobile you can add your torrents and check their status. the service really downloads fast, and what is cool if you download a popular torrent, it downloads in just 1 second! I've have never had a problem with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly liked this post because I think this is all really very helpful at all Berita Islam Terbaru

    ReplyDelete
  5. new site on the block
    seedr.co.il
    they have no monthly limits on free accounts

    ReplyDelete
  6. new site on the block
    seedr.co.il
    they have no monthly limits on free accounts

    ReplyDelete