Monday, October 15, 2012

The day Wikileaks died for me (and most other liberals)

I woke up this morning and could not believe what I was reading over my morning cup of tea. Firstly was the news that the Wikileaks-Forum was closing down and secondly was at how unhinged Julian Assange's mother (Christine Assange) behaved.

It turns out there was a massive Internet fight between Wikileaks supporters (Mostly spear headed by the owner of the website Cabledrum.net). To give you an idea of how this chap behaved, he basically stalked all the moderators and admins of Wikileaks-Forum because they would not do things his way.

If you are a liberal like me, and believed in the concept of Wikileaks... you can safely move on. According to Julians OWN mother; Wikileaks is not about some type of progressive liberal movement for truth and accountability. Its all about her and her son. She actually showed disdain in a communication I saw for liberals! (Or a "leftie game" as she called it).

For a long time now I was a strong supporter of Julian. I used to donate regularly to him. I defended and supported his actions because I believed in the cause that he was fighting for. Since the days of the original attack I ran the primary South African Wikileaks mirror (www.wikileaks.za.org). Back in those days thousands of us rallied to support Wikileaks when it was under constant DDOS attack.

 Now that  I have seen the absolute disdain the Assange`s treat this cause with, I can no longer put my support behind the organization. To the Assange's it has become the Assange Road Show. Wikileaks is all about them and their own personal agenda.

Long time supporters of Wikileaks the world over are getting upset with how Assange is managing this. You just need to look back at the history of Wikileaks to see the long line of good people who have been pushed to the side. From guys in the first official group right up until now. A trail of disenfranchised, highly competent individuals all coming to the same conclusion. This is not about freedom of information, its simply the Julian Assange fan club. A fan club dedicated to the Cult of Personality.

Even one of the biggest supporters of Wikileaks. The hacker collective known as Anonymous have come out with almost identical complaints to just about everyone else involved with Wikileaks. The hacker collective says whistleblowers website has become the 'Julian Assange show'. I could not agree more.

I think the straw that broke the camels back for me what Christine Assange. No offence Christine, but you have absolutely no idea how much damage you are doing. Your son is playing a high end game of politics and one of the most important assets in politics for ANY politician is his or hers support base. Calling them names and behaving like you did is not the way to gain supporters. Its a sure fire way to lose them.

Instead of being a wise, sage political voice, you decided to attack Wikileaks supporters and throw kerosene on the fire.

So ladies and gentlemen, friends and family. I am writing this in the hope to inform you that if you are a Wikileaks supporter. Now is the time to move on. The idea behind Wikileaks is still a great and noble idea. Transparency and accountability are more important than one man (and his moms) ego.  Now is the time to stop supporting Wikileaks and start supporting the alternatives.

To show that I am serious I am taking down the Wikileaks.za.org South African mirror in protest of how some Wikileaks supporters and the Assange's are behaving. Please note, by taking down I mean I am no longer volunteering my resources as a South African mirror of Wikileaks. I doubt Julian will care.

 To anyone else wanting to take the idea behind Wikileaks and want to promote transparency and accountability. I offer to you my time, hosting and server infrastructure. I will fully support any Wikileaks type project that is NOT run like a totalitarian dictatorship.

Right now I bet Christine and Co are thinking I am part of the "ruthless powers" dedicated to "killing her son". I am not. I am just a liberal South African that used to be one of their biggest supporters.

For further reading on how rabid the faithful in Julian's Cult of Personality were and how the attacked Wikileaks-Forum please check out this link:

http://www.wikiwatch.org.uk/attacks-on-wikileaks-forum/

For further reading on how Anonymous is reacting to Wikileaks please read this link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/12/anonymous-distances-itself-wikileaks

Please note, I am working closely with some exciting people on an important project that will help promote transparency and accountability and will not be limited by one man or one site.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently hired and watch a DVD about Assange - 2 in fact the one was more of a documentary - they truly portrayed him as someone very pathetic - quite sad really, I too held him in high regard at one stage.

    ReplyDelete