Tuesday, April 30, 2013

KdenLive error: Unsupported audio codec: libmp3lame

I wanted to do some video editing on Ubuntu with some of the awesome open source tools out there. I thought I would give the video editing software, "KdenLive" and see how it performs.


Video editing was really easy and I was impressed with some of the powerful video editing utilities that come with KdenLive but for some reason when I wanted to render the project as a MP4 I got the following error:
Unsupported audio codec: libmp3lame 
That was very perplexing because I was sure I had all the right packages to render my project. It seemed like there was a configuration error with KdenLive. So after much googling I came across the following two simple steps to resolve this issue:

1) Browse to: /home/USERNAME/.kde/share/config
2) Delete the file called : kdenliverc

That is it. Fire up KdenLive and you can render away.

EDIT: This fix also fixes the following error:  Video codec libx264 is not supported 

10 comments:

  1. This solution did not work for me. I was able to create a .mov file, but not a .mp4 file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem.
    Does this have anything to do with the optional encoder installed from an external source during the Ubuntu 12.04.2 installation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. please help after i did this when i click render kdenlive just crashes now after i deleted the file and i have to reconfigure it every time i restart it any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This solution did not work for me either. After I deleted the file and fired up kdenlive, it went through it's configuration wizard and I have the same issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This worked for me no problem! Thanks
    Here is my system info to confire the various platforms this fix works on

    Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon
    Nvida card
    Intel Chip

    edit on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you can add, that you first make sure that package libavcodec-extra-XX is installed and then run this setup wizard again.

    Instead of deleting this file, Settings -> Configuration Assistent (i'm using a german version so i'm not sure how its called in englisch) should do the trick too.

    This worked for me on LinuxMint 16.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esto trabaja muy bien
    Linux Mint 16 cinnamon
    gracias...

    ReplyDelete